Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: A Big Bang led to star being born.

WELCOME new member AMaizawing (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you guys have any tips on getting a good rental car rate?
We're planning on taking a two-week trip up north and we're driving as we want to visit multiple people in multiple locations.  As there will be five or six of us, plus a dog, I'd like to rent a mini-van.  If you have any tips on how I can get a better rate, I would appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.
(07-07-2019, 10:00 PM)K9Buck Wrote: We're planning on taking a two-week trip up north and we're driving as we want to visit multiple people in multiple locations.  As there will be five or six of us, plus a dog, I'd like to rent a mini-van.  If you have any tips on how I can get a better rate, I would appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.
Hotwire
Make America Honest Again
I go with Enterprise. I used to use Budget and some of the cheapest available and I'd get cars with problems too often.

Join their club, it's free, and you get a mild discount. Don't buy insurance, or anything else.

I got four days free for our CA trip in August, but I rent fairly often.
(07-08-2019, 06:10 AM)cincydawg Wrote: I go with Enterprise.  I used to use Budget and some of the cheapest available and I'd get cars with problems too often.

Join their club, it's free, and you get a mild discount.  Don't buy insurance, or anything else.

I got four days free for our CA trip in August, but I rent fairly often.

Thanks.
I used Enterprise a few times here recently.  Got insurance both times.  Glad I did, though I'm thinking my own insurance may cover me?  Anyway I'm not 100% on that, but either way I'm glad I did.  

So the second time I use 'em I do the token walk around the car with the rental car dude when I pick it up.  Neither of us spot anything obvious.  I bring it back from the trip and some chick does the walk around and tells me there's a scratch on the passenger's side.  I'm walking around thinking it was likely already there and if I had brought it back when the dude was there I'm almost 100% certain the dude wouldn't have even noticed it.  Instead I get Nancy friggin' Drew.  Good thing I had the insurance.  If they would have filed a claim on my personal insurance over that I would have been pissed.  

I had my dad with me.  We drove to Texas back in February.  I guess it's possible he may have dinged something when trying to get out (he's 84), but I don't recall anything, and if my old man had done anything obvious he certainly would have told me.  

Anyway, so I would recommend getting the insurance.
Your usual car insurance covers you in a rental. However, if you make a claim obviously your insurance rates will go up, a lot.

It is very important to check your car out before you drive it away or sign anything. They should show you a measuring device for determining what is and is not a ding, it's generally an inch circle. Have them not ANYTHING you see on the car. When you return it, it won't be the same person.

This is true for the interior as well of course.

Don't buy the gas option. Fill it up on your own. If the car is Flexfuel you can use E85 when you return it, and save a few bucks.
(07-07-2019, 10:00 PM)K9Buck Wrote: We're planning on taking a two-week trip up north and we're driving as we want to visit multiple people in multiple locations.  As there will be five or six of us, plus a dog, I'd like to rent a mini-van.  If you have any tips on how I can get a better rate, I would appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.

Google. You never know which site is going to have the best deal today.  It's really just a matter of spending time going through all the different sites and comparing prices.
Google ends up frustrating though. Stated rate never seems to be good for when you want the vehicle.

I am not sure this will work for your needs, but when we had warranty work done and loaner was not covered I used Turo. Would absolutely use it again. Iâ€d have to look back at cost, but mid size sedan was like $20 a day.

Mileage may make this a non starter for you, but someone may have a mom van they loan out.
Does your employer have any relationships with any car rental companies? Mine has discounts with Enterprise and National, along with others lie Verizon, etc.
I got a caddy for Phoenix in March through hotwire for about 30+ per day iirc.  AAA can reduce cost
Make America Honest Again
 Borrow Alabuckeye's minivan, girl's soccer season is over apparently.
(07-08-2019, 09:22 AM)Erhino Wrote: Google ends up frustrating though. Stated  rate never seems to be good for when you want the vehicle.

I am not sure this will work for your needs, but when we had warranty work done and loaner was not covered I used Turo. Would absolutely use it again. Iâ€d have to look back at cost, but mid size sedan was like $20 a day.

Mileage may make this a non starter for you, but someone may have a mom van they loan out.

Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dude giving pro lady golfer tips TakeThePoints 7 148 02-23-2024, 12:52 AM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Marty Brennaman - Good read. unc4corners 10 164 02-03-2024, 09:43 PM
Last Post: unc4corners
  Starbucks fires white guy for stopping armed robbery by two black guys K9Buck 59 811 01-29-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: zigbee
  Did you guys all see what "Biden" did??? P1tchblack 273 6,466 12-17-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: P1tchblack
  Gene Therapy - Good or End of the World Sanitarian2 4 124 12-09-2023, 12:03 AM
  Good series on Hulu P1tchblack 3 70 09-01-2023, 04:15 PM
  Find 3 pandas not wearing sun glasses.......GOOD LUCK zigbee 7 150 07-29-2023, 10:23 PM
  Good read on Kennedy Jr. antivaxxer TcSoup 23 403 07-19-2023, 01:00 PM
  This is a good look for Macron! K9Buck 2 91 06-16-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: maize
  WLW radio found good news anchor for the weekends. Big Reds fan and Bengals fan zigbee 4 131 05-15-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: ScarletHayes