Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: People do not care until they learn how much you do. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In today's episode of asset forfeiture
Gotta hand it to the guy.  I'll give him an A+ for creativity.  

Makes ya wonder just how pervasive this crap is.

Part of Scott's misconduct involved getting a Houston drug dealer to purchase a $43,000 Ford F-150 so that Scott could seize it through asset forfeiture laws and then use it as a work vehicle. Scott falsified seizure records to make it appear that he had taken the truck in Louisiana.

https://reason.com/2019/08/29/a-dea-agen...orfeiture/
We'll never know because it's not uncommon for police departments to not report what is seized.  Police departments are very good at protecting their own, so the public knows very, very little about what's actually going on.
(08-30-2019, 10:13 AM)P1tchblack Wrote: We'll never know because it's not uncommon for police departments to not report what is seized.  Police departments are very good at protecting their own, so the public knows very, very little about what's actually going on.

Do you realize you're commenting on a topic that you concede you know very, very little about?
(08-30-2019, 10:47 AM)BoyGenius Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 10:13 AM)P1tchblack Wrote: We'll never know because it's not uncommon for police departments to not report what is seized.  Police departments are very good at protecting their own, so the public knows very, very little about what's actually going on.

Do you realize you're commenting on a topic that you concede you know very, very little about?

Why?  Because I've never worked as a police officer?  If that's the only topics we're going to discuss, those which we have personal, professional experience, this is going to be a boring forum.   It doesn't take personal experience as a cop to see the incentive that police departments have to take stuff from citizens and find many examples of police wrongdoing as it pertains to civil asset forfeiture.
(08-30-2019, 10:55 AM)P1tchblack Wrote:

Why?  Because I've never worked as a police officer?  If that's the only topics we're going to discuss, those which we have personal, professional experience, this is going to be a boring forum.   It doesn't take personal experience as a cop to see the incentive that police departments have to take stuff from citizens and find many examples of police wrongdoing as it pertains to civil asset forfeiture.

No. I'm just reading your words above, "... the public knows very, very little about what's actually going on."
(08-30-2019, 11:11 AM)BoyGenius Wrote:

No. I'm just reading your words above, "... the public knows very, very little about what's actually going on."

What is inaccurate about that?
(08-30-2019, 11:17 AM)P1tchblack Wrote:

I didn't claim it was inaccurate. I find it interesting... there is very, very little info about what goes on and yet you know what goes on.
BG you make me laugh. OMG.
Still laughing. That one was a classic.
When the State shut down the New Rome PD in West Columbus, it was full of drugs and guns that hadn't been inventoried properly.
(08-30-2019, 11:21 AM)BoyGenius Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 11:17 AM)P1tchblack Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 10:47 AM)BoyGenius Wrote: Do you realize you're commenting on a topic that you concede you know very, very little about?

I didn't claim it was inaccurate. I find it interesting... there is very, very little info about what goes on and yet you know what goes on.

I think we can all agree that civil asset forfeiture happens, to the tune of millions per year per state, but we don't have visibility to what/why property is taken.  I'm not aware of any kind of oversight and not all states correctly report their forfeitures.
Controversial law allows police to seize and sell cars of non-lawbreakers, keeping the proceeds

A controversial law that allows police in Minnesota to take and sell someone's personal property is coming under more scrutiny after the state patrol seized a woman's car during a drunk driving stop late last year, even though she was not driving or charged with a crime.

Emma Dietrich recently paid thousands of dollars to buy back a 2013 Chevy Camaro that she had already paid off.

"I really hate that I had to do a buy-back, but mentally, financially, emotionally, I can't handle this case being in limbo for maybe two more years," Dietrich said.

Troopers seized Dietrich's car under Minnesota's forfeiture law that has allowed police agencies across the state to take close to 14,000 vehicles, generating nearly $10 million for those departments in just three years, according to a review of statewide data by 5 INVESTIGATES.

However, that immense revenue stream is being increasingly challenged by several lawmakers and judges who question the fairness of the law which also allows police to take the vehicles of those who have never been charged or convicted of a crime.

Doing the right thing?

Dietrich, 22, said she thought she was "doing the right thing" when she chose not to get behind the wheel after having drinks with coworkers when she finished a shift at a local restaurant in December.

"I didn't really feel comfortable driving home, so one of my coworkers was like, 'I can give you a ride home,'" Dietrich said.

Dietrich says she did not know the coworker who took her keys had a prior DWI.

She was in the passenger seat when a state trooper clocked her car at 118 miles per hour on I-94 in St. Paul.

When the driver, Syrgeo Perez, 30, refused a breathalyzer, he was arrested on suspicion of DWI and troopers seized Dietrich's car using Minnesota's forfeiture law.

About three out of four cars, trucks, and other vehicles seized by police in Minnesota between 2016 and 2018 were related to drunk driving offenses, based on data collected by the Office of the State Auditor.

Police have often stated the goal of those seizures is to stop repeat offenders from driving, but 5 INVESTIGATES found vehicles are also taken from owners like Dietrich who have never been charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI).

She says the State Patrol told her she was still being held responsible for her coworker's actions.

"That the right thing to do was to have a complete history of his driving infractions and to also give him a sobriety test. That is what they said I should have done," Dietrich said.

More
https://kstp.com/news/controversial-law-...Q.facebook
Lol. Clocked doing 118? Thought she was doing the right thing....foolish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(08-30-2019, 10:02 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote: Gotta hand it to the guy.  I'll give him an A+ for creativity.  

Part of Scott's misconduct involved getting a Houston drug dealer to purchase a $43,000 Ford F-150 so that Scott could seize it through asset forfeiture laws and then use it as a work vehicle. Scott falsified seizure records to make it appear that he had taken the truck in Louisiana.

SCOTUS made this legit. 

East Texas thru Louisiana have some of the most corrupt police. Even in the 1980s we were warned to drive with caution thru that stretch.
The America, and the American Military, that you once knew is gone.
(04-06-2021, 07:55 AM)lrrps21 Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 10:02 AM)ScarletHayes Wrote: Gotta hand it to the guy.  I'll give him an A+ for creativity.  

SCOTUS made this legit. 

East Texas thru Louisiana have some of the most corrupt police. Even in the 1980s we were warned to drive with caution thru that stretch.

I 10 corridor is infamous for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  $4.29 regular gas at Circle K today TakeThePoints 12 78 04-07-2024, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Soupcity Kid
  Marjorie Taylor Greene files motion today Alabuckeye 19 264 03-27-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Hightop77
  The Irish RULE today!!! Happy St Paddy's Day zigbee 27 484 03-17-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: zigbee
  Blacks in the criminal justice system today ... Hightop77 30 434 01-09-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Today is Real Women’s Day ChinaBuck 4 93 10-10-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: unc4corners
  In this week's episode of As the White Trash World Turns P1tchblack 18 456 09-18-2023, 08:52 AM
Last Post: P1tchblack
  Went to beach today zigbee 24 270 09-07-2023, 06:20 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  In today's episode of the theater of the surreal... ScarletHayes 1 98 08-19-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: ScarletHayes
  I went outside today and noticed it was sort of... zigbee 14 263 07-28-2023, 10:39 PM
Last Post: zigbee
  Lost my dog today Iowa Mels 33 455 07-07-2023, 09:36 PM
Last Post: TakeThePoints