Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: Keep an open mind! Finding the truth means willingness to listen to many ideas. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California city testing guaranteed income.
I found this quote interesting. Nothing says independence like relying on a government handout.

“I like it because I feel more independent, like Iâ€m in charge. I really have something thatâ€s my own.”

https://apnews.com/758f8d90cb664ba5bca303f93e46da3a
She uses $150 of it to pay for her cellphone.

Unemployed for 18 years and she spends 30% of the UBI on a cell phone.
The America, and the American Military, that you once knew is gone.
Welcome to the future.

[Image: Michael_Tubbs.jpg]

“I think poverty is immoral, I think it is antiquated and I think it shouldnâ€t exist,” said Michael Tubbs, the cityâ€s 29-year-old Democratic mayor.

Stockton demographics
43% Hispanic
12% Black
22% Asian
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

I'm assuming this money is coming from the city's tax revenue?  What could possibly go wrong with this?  [Image: Em_facepalm.gif]
I've suggested we "give" everyone who earns nothing $15 K a year, and nothing else.  Nobody would be in poverty.

It would be cheaper than current programs.  If they earn a bit, they lose part of this free money but not all of it until they reach say $30 K in income.

And yes, many would spend it on a cell phone, their dog, and chips for their grandkids.
The stupidity is breathtaking.  Herbert Hoover said it back in early 1930s....hand out money and self esteem is gone and so is will to get ahead and work for a living.   Bunch of dummies.
Make America Honest Again
I tried to tote up how much "we" spend on "poverty" in the US.  It's a depressing figure, especially if you include Medicaid.

Just dole out money to CITIZENS and let them waste it if they want, would be a lot cheaper and END poverty technically.
(09-04-2019, 08:39 AM)cincydawg Wrote: I tried to tote up how much "we" spend on "poverty" in the US.  It's a depressing figure, especially if you include Medicaid.

Just dole out money to CITIZENS and let them waste it if they want, would be a lot cheaper and END poverty technically.
The idea is to see people getting out of poverty and offering money like that just encourages it.   Bad idea.
Make America Honest Again
California is full of ignorant people, so this is not surprising.
(09-04-2019, 08:43 AM)zigbee Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 08:39 AM)cincydawg Wrote: I tried to tote up how much "we" spend on "poverty" in the US.  It's a depressing figure, especially if you include Medicaid.

The idea is to see people getting out of poverty and offering money like that just encourages it.   Bad idea.

I don't think it would encourage it any more than the current programs.

And I'd note this "city program" is being funded privately, not by the city.

I wish you would just stop reciting this.  You could pass out $100,000 a year to many of these people and they would blow it very quickly and then we would still have to give them food stamps, Medicaid, housing, etc.  If we don't have the discipline to deal with it now, what makes you think we would just because we hand them some cash?  Government programs don't go away.
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

I have seen various figures for the total amount spent on the losing war on poverty. They range from 15 trillion to 23 trillion. A fair amount of money regardless.

This year the federal, state, and local governments will spend close to a combined $1 trillion to fund more than 100 separate anti-poverty programs. In fact, since Lyndon Johnson declared “war on poverty” in 1965, government efforts to fight poverty have cost more than $23 trillion.

https://www.cato.org/publications/commen...ar-poverty
And imagine how much of that trillion is spent on overhead, staffing, etc.

A MUCH smaller group could manage my program.
(09-04-2019, 09:04 AM)cincydawg Wrote: And imagine how much of that trillion is spent on overhead, staffing, etc.

A MUCH smaller group could manage my program.

No doubt but here is the flaw in your proposal. Give everyone 15 grand a year. My bet would be people like the old crackhead in the original story would be broke in a month. Drugs, rims and stereo systems are costly. The bleeding hearts would be crying about how the govt is killing people by starving them. Personally I would not give a dang, let them starve. But the rino's in congress would never stand for it.
Yes, that would happen, but folks would know they had no excuse, so there would be no pity for them.

All these fancy programs do the same thing, but with great complexity.  Give a person a SNAP card and they sell it for 30 cents on the dollar and spend that on crack.

Just give them a photo ID card with money on it.  Have folks ascertain they are citizens and have no known income and given them money.

No Section 8, no medicaid, no welfare, no SNAP, just money, done.  Bye.

Waste it, that's on you.  It would END poverty in the US as we measure that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  115K per year to undocumented city council member zigbee 6 56 04-15-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Hightop77
  Losing businesses, high income earners, California will only have the poor zigbee 6 126 03-15-2024, 05:27 AM
Last Post: dunefan
  Steve Garvey vs. Adam Schiff, California senate race K9Buck 45 595 03-08-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Alabuckeye
  Volcano near Mexico City erupts, releasing towering plume of ash computerbuck 0 48 02-22-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: computerbuck
  California US senate debates: do the math zigbee 5 105 02-13-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  It's Spending, Not Income Sanitarian2 42 486 01-21-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: dunefan
  California Town Proposes Ban on Pride, Black and Women’s History Celebrations Hightop77 6 121 01-03-2024, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Hightop77
  Guaranteed income for transgenders TakeThePoints 17 298 10-09-2023, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Sanitarian2
  Even obese white women are getting brazen in California K9Buck 29 532 08-29-2023, 10:28 PM
Last Post: P1tchblack
  Welcome to California, enjoy your vacation! K9Buck 4 105 08-11-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Blinky