Welcome to the zigbeenuthouse!!! Our discussion board has topics on ALL Sports and teams from college to pros, Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, Browns, Food, US politics, religion, news, AND MORE! You MUST register with an acct. to post here. The access to read as non member is open. Please register and gain an acct. with user name to post and ENJOY this site. (June 11, 2019)

Quote of the day: People do not care until they learn how much you do. (April 03, 2020)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voting against the non-emergency, emergency
Sen. Rand Paul reportedly announced that he won't support President Trump declaring a national emergency at the southern border — appearing to push the U.S. Senate toward rejecting the move.
Paul, R-Ky., told a crowd at a dinner at Western Kentucky University on Saturday night that he "can't vote to give extra Constitutional powers to the president."

"I can't vote to give the president the power to spend money that hasn't been appropriated by Congress," Paul said, according to the Bowling Green Daily News. "We may want more money for border security, but Congress didn't authorize it. If we take away those checks and balances, it's a dangerous thing."

Three other Republican senators have announced they'll vote "no" to a national emergency declaration at the U.S.-Mexico border, too, including, Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska and Sen. Thom Tillis, R-N.C.

Paul's vote would make it four, and assuming that all 47 Democrats and their independent allies go against Trump, that would give opponents 51 votes — just past the majority needed.

The House has voted to derail the action, and if the Senate follows later this month, the measure would go to Trump for his promised veto.

Many lawmakers opposed to the emergency declaration say it tramples Congress' constitutional power to control spending and would set a precedent for future Democratic presidents to make such a declaration for their own purposes. They also are concerned Trump would siphon money from home-state projects for the barrier construction.
Under a national emergency declaration, Trump would divert $3.6 billion from military construction to erect more border barriers. He also is invoking other powers to transfer an additional $3.1 billion to construction of a wall.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rand-pa...border.amp
Looking at the usual RINO suspects he is joining says it all.  Likes that Koch $$$ too.
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

Unless the Senate can cobble together a veto-proof majority, Trump is still going to get his emergency powers.
(03-03-2019, 08:53 PM)va1bucksfan1 Wrote: Unless the Senate can cobble together a veto-proof majority, Trump is still going to get his emergency powers.

Oh , the outrage to come. Stuffed by Trump .
refugee settlement is big business.

2014... Obama asked for ~$4B in "supplemental budget appropriations" to address UAC border crisis. Buried in the request, Obama asked for funding to provide illegal immigrants with government lawyers (which is illegal). Once he was denied the funding, he declared the UAC issue a national emergency and diverted billions of dollars.

UAC = Unaccompanied Alien Children
(03-03-2019, 10:11 PM)BoyGenius Wrote: July 2014... Obama requests $4B in "supplemental budget appropriations" to address 'the border crisis". In case some forgot... Obama wanted funding to provide illegal immigrants with government lawyers.

I don't recall much outrage from Congress or the media.
"Hightop can reduce an entire message board of men to mudsharks. It's actually pretty funny to watch."

(03-03-2019, 10:14 PM)Hightop77 Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 10:11 PM)BoyGenius Wrote: July 2014... Obama requests $4B in "supplemental budget appropriations" to address 'the border crisis". In case some forgot... Obama wanted funding to provide illegal immigrants with government lawyers.

I don't recall much outrage from Congress or the media.

Why would there be outrage?  Obama did exactly what should be done when you want funding - ask Congress:

July 8, 2014

WASHINGTON — President Obama urged Congress on Tuesday to quickly provide almost $4 billion to confront a surge of young migrants from Central America crossing the border into Texas, calling it “an urgent humanitarian situation.”

Here's what Rand Paul said:

"I can't vote to give the president the power to spend money that hasn't been appropriated by Congress," 
With all the stats readily available I don't know how this isn't considered an emergency.  I still say he should piggyback off of Bush's post 9-11 NE on being able to build based off terror threats.  Gangs terrorize too.  Add the drug threat.  Etc...   I honestly don't get why anyone that puts concerns of the country first wouldn't fund this wall.  

Walk away and then wash your hands on national television Mr president.   Would make a great campaign commercial.  Nah, do the right thing and build the damn wall.
I am ok with the position Rand Paul is taking on this issue.
So did Obama get that money for his border "crisis?"  Did he declare a NE?  How did congress respond?   

Edit:  woops, never mind, just saw BG's post.  There ya go Mr president.   Cite past actions and underscore the lack of drama from the Dems in congress.  I mean HAMMER IT HOME.
(03-03-2019, 10:11 PM)BoyGenius Wrote: refugee settlement is big business.

2014... Obama asked for ~$4B in "supplemental budget appropriations" to address UAC border crisis. Buried in the request, Obama asked for funding to provide illegal immigrants with government lawyers (which is illegal). Once he was denied the funding, he declared the UAC issue a national emergency and diverted billions of dollars.

UAC = Unaccompanied Alien Children

Link?
(03-04-2019, 09:04 AM)Beastdog Wrote: I am ok with the position Rand Paul is taking on this issue.

I am as well.  I don't like it, I think Trump is right that the southern border is a great concern and we need to build further barriers, but there's a right way, and a wrong way, to do things.

Usurping powers is not the right way.
(03-04-2019, 09:58 AM)Alabuckeye Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 09:04 AM)Beastdog Wrote: I am ok with the position Rand Paul is taking on this issue.

I am as well.  I don't like it, I think Trump is right that the southern border is a great concern and we need to build further barriers, but there's a right way, and a wrong way, to do things.

Usurping powers is not the right way.

I understand and appreciate your point(s) on this.  Considering that Trump has a golden opportunity here.  Not only could he publicly wash his hands of this and run against not only the Dems, but a "do nothing" congress in 2020.  He could also propose to congress to do away with the NE act, which THEY are responsible for.  I think that throws the ball back in their court and forces them to yet AGAIN vote against the wall/border security in 2021 and beyond.

A move like that reduces presidential power.  So much for the fascist dictator theory...  

Just spit balling/thinking out loud with that.  Would definitely be interesting.
The wall isn't particularly a popular concept, I think because it's so closely identified with Trump.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas...order-wall

Thirty-four percent said a border wall was "the best path for making America safer at its borders," while 31 percent said it was "totally unnecessary and not worth the expense."

Thirty-five percent of respondents said they believed that Americans need border security, but there are "better options" for securing the border.

I would prefer Trump had done a better job explaining his concept and why it is needed than he did with his simplistic bombast.
For all the acclaim about his negotiating power, and I firmly believe he is skilled in this area, I haven't seen it in these areas where he has needed REPUBLICAN support on issues.

I get it. The Democrats are going to fight him tooth and nail and not give in on anything. That's the way that the Republicans rightfully did Obama and it's being returned.

But he has not worked WITH Republicans in Congress to get stuff done. He's got the bully pulpit and all he's used that for is to whip up the base time after time, not make a larger argument for the key issues.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden reaches (allegedly) 270, now let's talk recounts, voting audits & court battles K9Buck 2,112 201,957 03-12-2024, 04:29 PM
Last Post: P1tchblack
  Voting left-wing has its benefits K9Buck 8 140 01-29-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: ChinaBuck
  Conspiracy nutcase says that Georgia voting machines are vulnerable to attack K9Buck 25 475 01-21-2024, 12:43 PM
Last Post: ScarletHayes
  "I believe Biden's accuser, but I'm voting for him anyway" Syncro 66 6,108 06-02-2023, 10:40 PM
Last Post: maize
  Voting Day Thread ChinaBuck 240 4,287 11-10-2022, 09:35 AM
Last Post: Erhino
  It appears that Biden is going to declare a "climate emergency" K9Buck 33 733 07-21-2022, 09:35 AM
Last Post: wydileie
Smile DOJ supported liberal challenges to GA voting legislation Bucktastic1 11 397 05-02-2022, 05:24 PM
Last Post: davebucknut
  How is that hunger strike going over voting rights you freaking idiots zigbee 24 1,291 01-22-2022, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Blinky
  question about NYC's new voting "law." ScarletHayes 24 1,420 01-12-2022, 08:57 AM
Last Post: ScarletHayes
  Raffensperger Now Admits Fulton County Voting Problems Hightop77 230 35,321 08-10-2021, 05:52 PM
Last Post: P1tchblack